Re: FEATURES - is it good enough

Kevin Hilman had written, on 11/20/2009 12:35 PM, the following:
"Shilimkar, Santosh" <santosh.shilimkar@xxxxxx> writes:

[...]

Probably not something ot be attached in this patch, but...

I'm a bit curious about something:

Why touching omap3_features in OMAP4?

Isn't there a omap4_features?

Or even better, an omap_features?
This "is_feature" suppose to take care of Errata's also, is it?

"It's not a bug it's a feature." :)
Bug. Santosh pointed out internally to h/w discussion which clearly shows this as a h/w limitation. (thanks santosh)

This is errata more than a feature..... We better differentiate in
this regard

I agree, I have a hard time calling this empty fifo read fault a
"feature."  We need a similar thing for errata.
Agreed. This is a classic example why we need a common errata handling mechanism scalable across silicon variants on an IP basis. two problems in front of us: a) what do we want to do with 8250 workaround needed for omap3630 and omap4? can we go ahead with features marking it clearly as a "misuse of features for the time being" b) a common silicon errata handling mechanism: Does anyone have proposals for this? I can see it help in numerous places in our code today and will help readability of the code instead of getting the risk of "feature not a bug" misread.. ;)..

--
Regards,
Nishanth Menon