Re: v4 clientid uniquifiers in containers/namespaces

On 8 Feb 2022, at 10:47, Trond Myklebust wrote:

>> peernet2id_alloc() is not designed for this. It appears to use
>> idr_alloc(), which means it will reuse values frequently.

I did not think of that.

> Furthermore, that would introduce a dependency on the init namespace
> identifier being unique, which precludes its use for initialising said
> init namespace.

That's what the udev rule will fix! :)

I think I was still on the deterministic bus, but it seems to make the most
sense to simply use a random value as a default, then.  And if a container
wants to be the same client it must run udev, or write to sysfs itselt.

Ben