Re: v4 clientid uniquifiers in containers/namespaces

On 8 Feb 2022, at 9:42, Chuck Lever III wrote:

On Feb 8, 2022, at 9:29 AM, Benjamin Coddington <bcodding@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 8 Feb 2022, at 8:45, Trond Myklebust wrote:

Can't we just uniquify the namespaced NFS client ourselves, while
still
exposing /sys/fs/nfs/net/nfs_client/identifier within the namespace?
That
way if someone want to run udev or use their own method of persistent
id
its available to them within the container so they can. Then we can
move
forward because the problem of distinguishing clients between the
host
and
netns is automagically solved.

That could be done.

Ok, I'm eyeballing a sha1 of the init namespace uniquifier and
peernet2id_alloc(new_net, init_net).. but means the NFS client would grow a
dependency on CRYPTO and CRYPTO_SHA1.

Or you could use siphash instead of SHA-1.

I don't think we should be adding any more SHA-1 to the kernel --
it's deprecated for good reasons.

Thanks! Siphash is nicer too.  :)

Ben