Re: Question about nfsdcltrack --storagedir

On Fri, Nov 11 2016, Chuck Lever wrote:

>> No objection here, especially if we make it so that we have existing
>> behavior when there is no config file. nfs-utils even has some config
>> file parsing routines now in support/nfs that should be sufficient.
>
> Just a general thought:
>
> It's fine to store the configuration data under /etc, but for new
> administrative interfaces, please create a command line UI which
> is used to edit said configuration data. This makes it much easier
> for users to script administrative changes, to build GUIs around,
> and for our Q/A teams to construct automated tests.

If that is an important concern (and I don't disagree) then I would
suggest dropping the idea of a config file with sections and just have a
file with simple (case sensitive) "name=value" assignments.  Then sed
can be used to modify the file.

Or.... just use git to modify the config file.

  sudo git config --file /etc/idmapd.conf mapping.nobody-user neilb

did what I expected it to do :-)

I would lean towards a flat config file myself, but nfs-utils already
has code for structured config files, and that code ignores settings
before the first section.

Thanks,
NeilBrown