Re: Question about nfsdcltrack --storagedir

> [...]
>
> On Thu, 2016-11-10 at 10:54 +1100, NeilBrown wrote:

>>> Ahh, I added that option mostly for when I was testing it. I did a lot
>>> of the earlier testing running it by hand, and --storagedir let me use a
>>> different directory for the db. I did have a vague idea that we might
>>> use it in the situation you describe, but I never wired that up as I
>>> didn't have a real need for it.
>>>
>>> We could add a new module parm that would set that option when the
>>> kernel does its callout, or allow passing the storagedir by environment
>>> variable.
>>>
>>> What would make the most sense from a usability standpoint?
>>
>> Maybe a config file in /etc/ which nfsdcltrack reads on start-up?
>> Though in some ways I'd rather that instead of running a program, the
>> kernel sent a message to user-space.  Possibly a u-event?
>> Then existing configuration mechanisms could be used to choose a program
>> and a context for it to run in.
>> I wonder if u-events handle namespaces at all.
>>
>> This came up because a customer was symlinking all of /var/lib/nfs to
>> shared storage (and lost their symlink thanks to rpm).  That isn't a
>> solution that I really like, and it led me to reflect on other things in
>> /var/lib/nfs.
>>
>> etab - holds a normalized copy of /etc/exports, plus ad hoc changes.
>>       It would like in /run/nfs if we built this today
>> export-lock - lockfile to protect changes to above. Would also be
>>       in /run if we built it today. (I wonder why that doesn't
>>       use .etab.lock, which is already used for locking)
>> state, sm, sm.bak - statd state files.  These belong in /var/lib/nfs
>>       but are easily relocated with args to rpc.statd and sm-notify.
>> v4recovery - the NFSv4 version of above
>> xtab - this hasn't been needed since we gained /proc/fs/nfs/exports
>>       It is just a record of what should be in the kernel
>>       We should remove this.  I'll make a patch.
>> rmtab - this hasn't been needed since the "new cache" and the
>>       up-call mechanism were created.  It might be still used
>>       to respond to "showmount" commands, but that was never reliable.
>>       If we keep it, it should probably move to /run.
>>       But what do people think if finally discarding the old
>>       (non-new_cache) code and using that as an excuse to increment
>>       the major version number of nfs-utils?
>>
>> rpc_pipefs - mountpoint of NFS upcall filesystem.  This was another
>>       source of problems when /var/lib/nfs is a symlink elsewhere.
>>       It isn't nice to mount this filesystem on that shared storage.
>>       While programs that access this can be told to use an alternate
>>       directory, it is hard to tell systemd's unit files to mount
>>       it somewhere special (previously an init script would just
>>       mount it wherever the config file said)
>>       I note that Debian mounts this at /run/rpc_pipefs.
>>       That seems like a really good idea. What do people think of
>>       making this the "official" mount point?
>>
>> If we moved some things to /run and removed others, it would just leave
>> state,sm,sm.bak and v4recovery in /var/lib/nfs.  That is all the same

I'm in favor of the house cleaning above, as long as it doesn't
affect operation on recent kernels. Where do we draw that line?
RHEL 5, perhaps?

>> So there are lots of things we could do, but at a minimum -
>> /etc/nfsdcltrack.conf ??
>>
>> Thanks,
>> NeilBrown
>
> No objection here, especially if we make it so that we have existing
> behavior when there is no config file. nfs-utils even has some config
> file parsing routines now in support/nfs that should be sufficient.

Just a general thought:

It's fine to store the configuration data under /etc, but for new
administrative interfaces, please create a command line UI which
is used to edit said configuration data. This makes it much easier
for users to script administrative changes, to build GUIs around,
and for our Q/A teams to construct automated tests.

--
Chuck Lever