Re: Question about nfsdcltrack --storagedir

On Wed, 2016-11-09 at 14:46 +1100, NeilBrown wrote:
> Hi,
>  I notice that nfsdcltrack has a "--storagedir" option.
>  I wonder how this can be used, given the nfsdcltrack is only(?) called
>  from the kernel and there is no(?) mechanism to pass extra options.
>
>  In a clustered-server context it would make sense(?) to share the
>  database between cluster nodes and it is easiest to do this if the
>  file in a separate filesystem (mounted as part of fail-over) rather
>  than in /var.
>  This can(?) be achieved using a symlink, but rpm likes to remove
>  symlinks to non-existent locations.
>
>  With NFSv3 the equivalent is the state files maintained by statd, and
>  these can be relocated by passing the -P option to rpc.statd.
>  How does one do a similar thing for NFSv4???

Ahh, I added that option mostly for when I was testing it. I did a lot
of the earlier testing running it by hand, and --storagedir let me use a
different directory for the db. I did have a vague idea that we might
use it in the situation you describe, but I never wired that up as I
didn't have a real need for it.

We could add a new module parm that would set that option when the
kernel does its callout, or allow passing the storagedir by environment
variable.

What would make the most sense from a usability standpoint?

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>