Re: 2.6.38.6 - state manager constantly respawns

On May 16, 2011, at 3:43 PM, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 12:36 -0700, Harry Edmon wrote:

>>> Disappointing: tshark is not telling us the return codes.  However, I see "PUTFH;READ" then "RENEW" in a loop, which indicates the state manager thread is being kicked off because of ongoing difficulties with state recovery.  Is there a stuck application on that client?
>>>
>>> Try again with "tshark -V".
>>>
>> Here is the output from tshark -V (first 50,000 lines).   Nothing
>> appears to be stuck, and as I said when I reboot the client into 2.6.32
>> the problem goes away, only to reappear when I reboot it back into 2.6.38.6.
>>

> Possibly, but it definitely indicates a server bug. What kind of server
> are you using?
>
> Basically, the client is getting confused because when it sends a READ,
> the server is telling it that the lease has expired, then when it sends
> a RENEW, the same server replies that the lease is OK...

I've seen this during migration recovery testing.  The client may be testing the wrong client ID.

But I wonder if it's really worth doing that separate RENEW.  I've seen the client send a RENEW after it gets STALE_STATEID.  Would RENEW really tell the client anything in that case?

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com