Re: whither NFS umount?

On Oct 14, 2010, at 2:27 PM, Steve Dickson wrote:

> Hey...
>
> On 10/14/2010 11:29 AM, Chuck Lever wrote:
>> On Oct 13, 2010, at 7:19 PM, Steve Dickson wrote:
>>
>> Using /proc/mounts to determine whether a mount point is NFSv4 or NFS is OK.
>> However, /proc/mounts doesn't contain the original mount options used
>> to negotiate the mount.  Ideally, we want to use the original mount command
>> line options, and not the exact options that were negotiated, when doing the umount.
>>
>> The example I use to explain why /proc/mounts is not appropriate is a
>> simple mount "vers=3".  It negotiates with the server and discovers the
>> mount service is on port 4545.  The mount proceeds.  After a while the
>> server reboots, and puts the mount service on port 32769.  Our /proc/mounts
>> still has "mountport=4545" since that's what was negotiated at mount time
>> and passed to the kernel.  When umount tries the UMNT request, it will
>> read /proc/mounts, send the UMNT request to port 4545, and fail.
> Either don't use the mountport that's in /proc/mounts or better yet
> be prepared to do a GETPORT of the service when the UMNT call
> fails with 'RPC: Program not registered'. Something that is
> commonly done..
>

>> Now, we could just say "screw it" and use the negotiated options rather
>> than the user-specified ones.  But that means there are still cases we
>> could perform the UMNT correctly which would not work.
> Even the information in /etc/mtab can go stale.
>   mount mountport=4545 /mnt; server restart ; umount /mnt
> were the server comes up on a different port.
>
> Granted this is a pilot error by the admin since if the
> port is  specified on the command line the server better
> be listening on that port. The point being there can be stale
> information in any static list.
>
> So regardless of which list is read (/etc/mtab or /proc/mounts)
> we need to be prepared deal with static information...
>

>> Another choice would be to store the original NFS-related command line
>> mount options somewhere other than /etc/mtab, and leave them alone during
>> a remount.  If we can't perform UMNT in the kernel, I'd prefer this type
>> of solution to either updating /etc/mtab on a remount or using /proc/mounts
>> during umount.
>>
>> How about a file under /var/lib/nfs ?
> I refer to my above statement... No matter where we put the list, there
> is always a chance of the information in the list to go stale...
>
> So I would suggest we use /proc/mounts since that is the last known
> valid options and then be prepared to deal with stale options.

It sounds like we agree that umount.nfs needs to do some negotiation (and it already does this today).  What I'm suggesting is we can be more clever about what the starting point is for the umount negotiation.

My goal for text-based mounts (until now) has been to keep the originally specified mount options in /etc/mtab, and use those as the starting point for negotiation during the umount.  This appears to have been the intent of mount.nfs's use of /etc/mtab, all along (but we agree /etc/mtab is probably a bad place to put this info).  The original mount options will have the best chance of working.  Ideally these would be recorded after config file processing, but before version and transport negotiation (unlike /proc/mounts, which would have the post-negotiation options).

The mount protocol information in /proc/mounts can be very very stale.  If the mount point is very long lived, as it is for static mount points on server-class systems, the client may have been up for months, while the NFS servers can have rebooted multiple times during that time span.  Each server reboot can result in the mount port changing, for example.

/proc/mounts has the specific set of options that were the result of negotiation during the mount process.  Those will work sometimes, but I think those actually have a good chance of not working in some cases.  If umount.nfs starts with /proc/mounts, how can it know which of "vers=" and "proto=" and "port=" and "mountport=" were specified on the original command line (and thus are required to make the mount work) and those which were negotiated by mount.nfs (and thus may have changed since the original mount)?

So, preserving the original mount options somewhere and using that as the starting point for negotiation during the umount is the best way to ensure that a UMNT request will get to the server, in my opinion, not the least because that's the intent of the code we have now.

I think there are more cases when using /proc/mounts will be worse than using /etc/mtab, and thus we'll get worse behavior on UMNT than we have today in some cases.  If this weren't true, I think we would have embraced /proc/mounts already.  I consider a change to use /proc/mounts as risky as a change to not send UMNT at all.

So, I'm OK with keeping umount.nfs around for the time being, but maybe I have to put my foot down and say we mustn't use /proc/mounts for anything but deciding whether the mount point is an NFSv4 mount.  I'm happy to volunteer code, and also happy to collaborate with you on a fix.  I've already spent a lot of time poking at this and coding prototypes, so I'm "invested."

To summarize: instead of relying on /etc/mtab, also use an NFS-specific place to record the same information.  umount.nfs can use that instead of /etc/mtab.  And by the way, we don't touch this information during a remount... heh.  That guarantees that we preserve existing good behaviors of umount.nfs, continue to update /etc/mtab as documented, until maybe it goes away, but eliminate our functional dependence on it.

--
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com