Re: whither NFS umount?

On Oct 13, 2010, at 3:31 PM, Steve Dickson wrote:

> On 10/13/2010 02:56 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:45:57 -0400
>> Steve Dickson <SteveD@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I would say send the UMNT, since it does not cause any pain to send it
>>> verses the pain that could be cause by not sending it...
>>>
>>> This is a perfect example of fixing something that is not
>>> broken... We can put our energy in better place that worrying
>>> about things like this... IMHO...
>>
>> But it *is* broken. As Chuck pointed out, the main problem is that mtab
>> handling is broken on remounts. That's a real problem that needs to be
>> fixed.
> Fine... Lets just focus on that issue...

Actually...

Removing UMNT support _is_ the proposed fix for the "-o remount" issue.  The reason we depend on /etc/mtab is because umount needs to know how to do the unmount.  A "-o remount" wipes that information.  It turns out that there is no correct implementation of remount rewriting the options in /etc/mtab.  utils-linux-ng does not even get this right, and mount(8) claims that /etc/mtab will not be reliable after a remount.

If we no longer have to perform a UMNT, then there is no need to worry about the contents of /etc/mtab, for any reason, and it can go away.  I believe we are the only file system that is holding up the complete removal of /etc/mtab.

I think there's no reason to keep UMNT in user space; it simply can never work correctly there.  I believe a kernel space implementation would be simple, and would work correctly much more often than user space UMNT does now.  I don't agree with Trond that we should not do it there, but that's an argument I can't win.

>> I agree that our time is better spent elsewhere. I just think that we
>> ought to make that happen by eliminating the unnecessary umount helper.
>> The less code that we need to maintain, the better...
> In general I agree... but removing functionality (i.e. umount.nfs)
> can cause more pain than just leaving things as is...

Is there any specific evidence that there will be pain if umount.nfs is removed?  I can't think of any use case it would harm.  It's already broken in many cases, and we have never heard of a specific application complaint about it.  If there had been a complaint we would have fixed it already.  UMNT is clearly vestigial.

--
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com