Re: whither NFS umount?

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:40:37 -0400
Steve Dickson <SteveD@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry for joining late...
>
> On 10/12/2010 03:44 PM, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 15:18 -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> >
> >> I think the part that causes problems is having userspace do this. In
> >> theory, if the kernel were in charge of sending the UMNT, then it's not
> >> really a problem since it knows when to do it. If we have code that
> >> sends a UMNT already, why not do a best-effort UMNT call from the
> >> kernel when we tear down the sb?
> >
> > Purely for the pleasure of allowing the server to maintain inaccurate
> > statistics about who is currently mounting what? I think not...
> >
> > You can get far more accurate results by replacing the MNT/UMNT state
> > counter with a purely server-based scheme to track who accessed one or
> > more files on each exported partition in the past 5 minutes or so. That
> > would even work with NFSv4...
> >
> >> Either way, eliminating umount.nfs would be nice...
> >
> > Agreed.
> I having a hard time understanding this logic...
>
> Why do we think we (the Linux community) can simply
> throw way an established part of the protocol just because
> we deem it advisory... Now maybe in our implementation UMNT its
> advisory and it might even be advisory in the spec, but how do we
> know with  other NFS implementation is not advisory, its actually needed.
> We don't known and we can't known....
>
> Now when our implementation becomes an NFSv4 only implementation,
> I say fine; Eliminate all the protocols that go along
> with both v2 and v3. But until then lets just have leave
> the legacy protocols along and move forward in more meaningful
> efforts...

It's not clear to me what you're advocating here...

umount.nfs is clearly broken today -- it sends UMNT calls even when it
shouldn't and there are problems with mtab handling.

The latter part is the main problem. The question is though -- should
we fix umount.nfs or just do away with it?

My position is that it really serves no good purpose these days. Only
the kernel knows when a UMNT call should be sent, so that really has no
place in umount.nfs. Once that piece is out of userspace, we might as
well just let /bin/umount do everything and not bother with umount.nfs.

A separate question is whether we should sent a UMNT request at all.
Trond has basically said "don't bother" to that one. I don't feel
strongly either way, but wouldn't be opposed to sending a best-effort
UMNT call from the kernel if it makes some servers happy.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>