Re: ktls-utils: question about certificate verification

On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 12:48 PM Calum Mackay <calum.mackay@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 25/06/2024 6:31 pm, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:

> >> Noted, thanks very much Olga, that's useful.

> >> Wildcard didn't seem to work for me in CN, but I may not have tried it
> >> in SAN; I'll do that too.
> >
> > I have tried to use a wildcard in the SAN and that didn't work for me.
> > How about you? Specifically, I tried in the SAN
> > "DS:netapp*.linux.fake" and tried to mount netapp119.linux.fake which
> > failed with "certificate owner unexpected" (meaning certificate didnt
> > find anything match to netapp119.linux.fake.
I don't know if this helps, but at least for the OpenSSL libraries, wildcards
can optionally match a component in a DNS name or multiple components.
For example:
*.linux.fake could match netapp119.linux.fake, but not
netapp119.subnet.linux.fake
OR
*.linux.fake could match both netapp119.linux.fake and
netapp119.subnet.linux.fake
OR
*.linux.fake does not match anything.

Which of the above is true depends on whether an argument to X509_check_host()
is set to X509_CHECK_FLAG_MULTI_LABEL_WILDCARDS, 0, or
X509_CHECK_FLAG_NO_WILDCARDS.
- I made X509_CHECK_FLAG_NO_WILDCARDS the default in FreeBSD, but it
  can optionally be set to either of the other values.

I don't know if you guys use a similar call? rick