Re: ktls-utils: question about certificate verification

On Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 1:39 PM Calum Mackay <calum.mackay@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 21/06/2024 4:33 pm, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> > Hi Calum,
> >
> > My surprise was to find that having the DNS name in CN was not
> > sufficient when a SAN (with IP) is present. Apparently it's the old
> > way of automatically putting the DNS name in CN and these days it's
> > preferred to have it in the SAN.
> >
> > If the infrastructure doesn't require pnfs (ie mounting by IP) then it
> > doesn't matter where the DNS name is put in the certificate whether it
> > is in CN or the SAN. However, I found out that for pnfs server like
> > ONTAP, the certificate must contain SAN with ipAddress and dnsName
>
> Noted, thanks very much Olga, that's useful.
>
> > extensions regardless of having DNS in CN. I have not tried doing
> > wildcards (in SAN for the DNS name) but I assumed gnuTLS would accept
> > them. I should try it.
>
> Wildcard didn't seem to work for me in CN, but I may not have tried it
> in SAN; I'll do that too.

I have tried to use a wildcard in the SAN and that didn't work for me.
How about you? Specifically, I tried in the SAN
"DS:netapp*.linux.fake" and tried to mount netapp119.linux.fake which
failed with "certificate owner unexpected" (meaning certificate didnt
find anything match to netapp119.linux.fake.