ktls-utils: question about certificate verification

hi Olga,

A few weeks ago you and Chuck were discussing duplication requirements of the hostname in the CN field versus SAN extension in the certificate:

	https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nfs/CAN-5tyENK71L1C=6NwdB4mkxxf1qYZ2-4e-p8FQM=SmA3tMT_g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

For what it's worth, my own testing showed that the SAN DNS: element doesn't need to duplicate the CN.

This is especially relevant in the case where the full DNS name is > 64 chars, which is not strictly allowed as a CN (and openssl for example enforces that limit).

In that case, it works to put the short hostname in the CN, and the full DNS name in a SAN DNS: extension. There is no need to duplicate the CN entry in the SAN extension.

I also noted that using a wildcard CN (e.g. "*.acme.com") does not work.

I've yet to test mounting by IP, but will do so soon.

best wishes,
calum.