Re: ktls-utils: question about certificate verification

Hi Calum,

My surprise was to find that having the DNS name in CN was not
sufficient when a SAN (with IP) is present. Apparently it's the old
way of automatically putting the DNS name in CN and these days it's
preferred to have it in the SAN.

If the infrastructure doesn't require pnfs (ie mounting by IP) then it
doesn't matter where the DNS name is put in the certificate whether it
is in CN or the SAN. However, I found out that for pnfs server like
ONTAP, the certificate must contain SAN with ipAddress and dnsName
extensions regardless of having DNS in CN. I have not tried doing
wildcards (in SAN for the DNS name) but I assumed gnuTLS would accept
them. I should try it.