Re: should we make --enable-tirpc the default in current nfs-utils?

Chuck Lever wrote:

>>> Actually I would like to do just the opposite... remove --enable-tirpc
>>> and stick with --enable-ipv6...

>>> Well, your examples are all defining functionality... not libraries...
>>>

>> Right. I agree with Steve here. I think it makes sense to keep the
>> knobs we expect people to twiddle to be for features and not
>> necessarily for libs.
>
> I really don't understand why having TI-RPC in a library is important here.
>
> --enable-tirpc is a feature knob.  Forget that it happens to be in a
> library.  Either nfs-utils supports TI-RPC or it supports legacy RPC.
> The external behavior of nfs-utils changes.
>
> Legacy RPC is in a library too.  It happens to be in a library that is
> included by default, so configure doesn't have to figure out where RPC
> support is and whether it is installed.
>
> What's the difference?
Following this theory there should have been an --enable-glibc
which obviously misguided...

All configuration flags define functionality not supporting parts
of those functionalities....

Lets just have an --enable-ipv6/--disable-ipv6 flag and leave it to
the distros as to how they want to deal with it.

Now with that said, just because --enable-ipv6 is set, does not have
to mean *all* IPv6 support is there, especially if its not fully baked.
More times that not, pieces of major new features are released in
multi updates... Maybe in this first IPv6 release only the supporting
components are enabled (ala libtirpc). In the next release client
side rpc.statd is enabled and so on...

Trickling things in a very slow and control pace makes it much easier
to manage new functionality... IMHO... and having the big hammer
(ala --disable-ipv6) is a comfortable thing when comes to maintaining
stability...

steved.