Re: [Patch 0/9] NFS Mount Configuration File

On Mar 17, 2009, at Mar 17, 2009, 4:25 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 04:17:05PM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
I think the problem I have with this (besides the complexity) is that
if we must add more ways of avoiding NFSv4, then is NFSv4 really ready
to be made the default?

Even given the best possible client and server implementation, there are
enough user-visible not-completely-backwards-compatible changes in the
protocol (ACLs, string names, etc.) that silently substituting v4 can't
be the right thing for every case.

For the cases where it isn't right, why is simply adding "vers=3" not an appropriate workaround?

It would be nice to have a working list of areas where there are going to be issues, so we and our users can be prepared for the transition.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com