Re: [Patch 0/9] NFS Mount Configuration File

Hi Steve-

On Mar 9, 2009, at Mar 9, 2009, 4:44 PM, Steve Dickson wrote:
Hello,

The following patch set introduces a configuration file where
mount options can be define. The options in the file can be
applied globally or per server or per mount point.

The patch set reuses the configuration parsing code that
idmapd uses. I did added a couple enhancements like ignoring
blanks in certain definitions as well as at the beginning of
assignment statements.

There are man pages include in the patch set but in a
nut shell, the configuration file has three basic types
of sections. A global section, server section and mount point
section. There can only be one global section and multiple
server and mount point sections.

The mount command prioritize these sections in the following
way:
    * Options on the command line are always used.

    * Options defined in the mount point section are used
      as long a the options are not in the command line options.

    * Options defined in the server section are used as long as
      they are not defined on the command line or in the mount point
      section.

    * Options defined in the global section are used as long as the
options are not on the command line or in the mount point section
      or in the server section.

This can become challenging to troubleshoot if there are these semi- hidden options (cf. selinux).

I don't get why the per-mount section is even needed -- currently, the mount options in /etc/fstab are used automatically if no options are specified on the command line.

Is there a specific use case you have in mind for the per-mount section? You just want a user to say "-o noac" and she will get all the remaining options in the per-mount section too? I guess that means you also need to know when to specify the opposite to turn off the options listed in this section (like using "-o ac" if noac is contained in this section). So again, that doesn't seem like especially helpful behavior in some cases.

This scheme doesn't allow conditional options: "always use retrans=10 if proto=udp was specified, but retrans=2 if proto=tcp was specified."

This is the first step toward moving the default NFS version from 3 to 4
on the client.

I would think that the _only_ step is to implement the version fallback logic; ie. if the server doesn't support NFSv4, then use NFSv3, then NFSv2. Why can't an admin simply specify a fixed NFS version (nfsvers=3) if there is a problem with NFSv4? It seems to me that if the admin hasn't specified nfsvers=, then she does not care which NFS version is used.

Having a configuration file which allows users to define
the maximum and minimum NFS versions that should be negotiated is the
right thing to do... IMHO.. Even though this patch does not does not
do that, it does lay the ground work for that type of functionality.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com