Re: Performance Diagnosis

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 15:21 -0400, Peter Staubach wrote:
> The connection manager would seem to be a RPC level thing, although
> I haven't thought through the ramifications of the NFSv4.1 stuff
> and how it might impact a connection manager sufficiently.

We already have the scheme that shuts down connections on inactive RPC
clients after a suitable timeout period, so the only gains I can see
would have to involve shutting down connections on active clients.

At that point, the danger isn't with NFSv4.1, it is rather with
NFSv2/3/4.0... Specifically, their lack of good replay cache semantics
mean that you have to be very careful about schemes that involve
shutting down connections on active RPC clients.

Cheers
  Trond