Re: Performance Diagnosis

Chuck Lever wrote:
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Peter Staubach <staubach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If it is the notion described above, sometimes called head
of line blocking, then we could think about ways to duplex
operations over multiple TCP connections, perhaps with one
connection for small, low latency operations, and another
connection for larger, higher latency operations.

I've dreamed about that for years.  I don't think it would be too
difficult, but one thing that has held it back is the shortage of
ephemeral ports on the client may reduce the number of concurrent
mount points we can support.

One way to avoid the port issue is to construct an SCTP transport for
NFS.  SCTP allows multiple streams on the same connection, effectively
eliminating head of line blocking.

I like the idea of combining this work with implementing a proper
connection manager so that we don't need a connection per mount.
We really only need one connection per client and server, no matter
how many individual mounts there might be from that single server.
(Or two connections, if we want to do something like this...)

We could also manage the connection space and thus, never run into
the shortage of ports ever again.  When the port space is full or
we've run into some other artificial limit, then we simply close
down some other connection to make space.

      ps