Performance Diagnosis

Hi,

I have a RHEL 5 system that exhibits less than wonderful performance
when copying large files from/to an NFS filesystem.  When the copy is
taking place, other access to the filesystem is painfully slow.  I
would like to have the filesystem react well to small requests while a
large request is taking place.

A couple of questions:

Is this a reasonable expectation?

Is this perhaps an I/O scheduling issue that isn't specific to NFS,
but shows up there because of the latency of my NFS setup?

Is this most likely a client issue, a server issue or a combination?

Do you have recomendations on the best way to determine what is
happening?  Are there existing tools to monitor active IO/NFS
requests/responses and any relevant queues?

Thanks for any info/ideas before I get in too deep :)

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia@xxxxxxxxx