Re: Performance Diagnosis

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 14:17 -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Peter Staubach <staubach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Chuck Lever wrote:

> >> I've dreamed about that for years.  I don't think it would be too
> >> difficult, but one thing that has held it back is the shortage of
> >> ephemeral ports on the client may reduce the number of concurrent
> >> mount points we can support.
> >>
> >> One way to avoid the port issue is to construct an SCTP transport for
> >> NFS.  SCTP allows multiple streams on the same connection, effectively
> >> eliminating head of line blocking.
> >
> > I like the idea of combining this work with implementing a proper
> > connection manager so that we don't need a connection per mount.
> > We really only need one connection per client and server, no matter
> > how many individual mounts there might be from that single server.
> > (Or two connections, if we want to do something like this...)
> >
> > We could also manage the connection space and thus, never run into
> > the shortage of ports ever again.  When the port space is full or
> > we've run into some other artificial limit, then we simply close
> > down some other connection to make space.
>
> I think we should do this for text-based mounts; however this would
> mean the connection management would happen in the kernel, which (only
> slightly) complicates things.
>
> I was thinking about this a little last week when Trond mentioned
> implementing a connected UDP socket transport...
>
> It would be nice if all the kernel RPC services that needed to send a
> single RPC request (like mount, rpcbind, and so on) could share a
> small managed pool of sockets (a pool of TCP sockets, or a pool of
> connected UDP sockets).  Connected sockets have the ostensible
> advantage that they can quickly detect the absence of a remote
> listener.  But such a pool would be a good idea because multiple mount
> requests to the same server could all flow over the same set of
> connections.
>
> But we might be able to get away with something nearly as efficient if
> the RPC client would always invoke a connect(AF_UNSPEC) before
> destroying the socket.  Wouldn't that free the ephemeral port
> immediately?  What are the risks of trying something like this?

Why is all the talk here only about RPC level solutions?

Newer kernels already have a good deal of extra throttling of writes at
the NFS superblock level, and there is even a sysctl to control the
amount of outstanding writes before the VM congestion control sets in.
Please see /proc/sys/fs/nfs/nfs_congestion_kb

Cheers
  Trond