Re: [patch] fix statd -n

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Wendy Cheng <s.wendy.cheng@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  After browsing thru "statd -n" flow, it is still not clear what will happen
> if there are more than 2 interfaces used to export NFS shares ?

How come? It will use the interface specified with -n.

>  Using "statd -H", together with patches described in:
>  https://www.redhat.com/archives/cluster-devel/2007-April/msg00028.html ,

So this basically makes it a users problem, I don't
like it. Statd's standard notifications are just fine and
I don't want to have anything to do with the process.
It should work as is, out of the box, without writing
separate programs to handle stuff that statd doesn't
do.

>  our cluster failover (with 4 IP interfaces per server) seemed to run well
> without troubles.

Your idea was to serve traffic via all of these interfaces?
One specific segment is just enough for us. Our servers
can have anything from 5 - 100 floating addresses and
it would be just great if we could keep each service
bound in it's own address. It's just better that way.

> Note that 2/3 of the patch in 4-3 can be removed *now*
> since it deals with moving server address from network header into lockd
> internal structures - another similar patch (by Frank van Maarseveen) was
> accepted into mainline kernel after our patch that has the required
> functionality:
>  http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/7/10/553 .
>
>  So the following is our (-H) flow:
>  * Server dispatches statd with "-N" option that has a user mode script
>   (sample program fotest.c enclosed). It is expected the user mode script
>   could structure its nlm directory accordingly.
>  * Upon failover, the take-over server notifies clients with:
>   "/usr/sbin/sm-notify -f -v floating_ip_address -P an_sm_directory"
>
>  The advantages of "-H" approach over "-n" are (I think ?):
>  * It can handle multiple NFS export network interfaces.
>  * It knows which clients coming from which interfaces to allow selective
> grace period for each interface.
>
>  In many ways, I would think "-n" should be obsolete ?

To me these use cases are clearly different. You're
trying to serve traffic to multiple segments and need
stuff that 'user have to worry about' to accomplish
this.  -n works as is for just one segment. And how
many users really need interface specific selective
grace anyway?

--
// Janne