Re: Request for linux-next inclusion of the voyager tree

* James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 08:20 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, James Bottomley wrote:
> > >
> > > If I go the merge point route, I get a tree with more non trivial merge
> > > points than commits, so it becomes incredibly difficult for anyone to
> > > follow what's going on.  I also can no longer use git-email to send my
> > > patch series anywhere.
> >
> > Why do you need to merge at all?
> >
> > Do you get constant conflicts? If so, _that_ is likely the problem.
>
> Pretty much, yes.  The problem isn't in the voyager code, it's in
> the residual subarchitecture clean up.  As the x86 tree evolves,
> that's what keeps conflicting mainly because adjacent areas get
> altered.  Once that's upstream, the voyager piece should be a
> smooth ride.

The problem causing problems with Voyager are long-lived, and it
goes well before the time we got rid of subarchitectures and added
the x86-quirks mechanism to express "non PC" properties cleanly.

The problem was simply that the old Voyager code had an unreasonably
large cross-section to the x86 code originally, under the old 32-bit
subarch code concepts. (which, in hindsight, should never have been
merged in that form.)

We had this mach-default/mach-voyager splitup and the asm headers
were duplicated as well, creating a large, hard to maintain
build-time kludge of subarchitecture code. Voyager broke again and
again in the past ~2 years because its assumptions were hidden in
build-time wrappers and were not visible to developers changing the
generic code.

The other key problem was that for a long time you runtime tested
Voyager only in late -rc's (i remember an -rc8 Voyager patchset from
you - for issues that were introduced months before that point!) -
which gave us little oppotunity to do things properly.

The thing is, you are the only Linux person known to us on this
planet who has access to the hardware and runs recent Linux on it
and thus _can_ test Voyager/Linux, so unless we reduce the cross
section to the rest of the code it will frequently 'break' - because
no-one can actually test its assumptions.

So unless someone else mails us that they boot recent kernels and
care about Voyager, this is basically a one-person show for your
sake only. So the requirements are that it 1) must not hurt any
other code 2) the introduction must be done so cleanly that everyone
else benefits too indirectly, by virtue of an improved
infrastructure.

> Once the last piece of the subarchitecture is removed and the
> pieces needed to support voyager are in, that should be it. [...]

Ok, let me make this abundantly clear:

We _already_ removed the 32-bit subarchitecture code. We converted
summit, numaq and visws over to the x86-quirks mechanism.

So your "once the last piece of the subarchitecture is removed"
statement makes no sense. We dont have subarchitecture code left and
we are not adding it back.

	Ingo