Re: Request for linux-next inclusion of the voyager tree

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > So Ingo you are arguing "It didn't work in some releases so we
> > > want to make it continue not to work by trying to keep the fixes
> > > out" ?
> >
> > No. This code is not in Linux right now, and that i see no reason to
> > put it back, for the (many) reasons outlined.
>
> Ingo, "absurd irrelevance" is not a reason. If it was, we'd lose
> about half our filesystems etc.
>
> Neither is "thousands of lines of code", or "it hasn't always
> worked". Again, if it was, then we'd have to get rid of just about
> all drivers out there.
>
> So give some real reasons. "It's a maintenance nightmare because
> it does xyz" might be a reason. But then we really need to see the
> "xyz" part too.
>
> Alan is definitely right that we're likely to see more of the
> "non-PC" platforms as x86 tries to do embedded.

That is true, and the whole painful conversion from the build-time
32-bit sub-arch code to the unified runtime quirk code (which is
really 'non-PC platform driver' kind of thing) that i did a few
months ago was partly about that.

I dont dispute that aspect - in fact we merged a rare subarch as
well.

But Voyager has been the most painful subarchitecture by far - for
an extended period of time the code didnt even build in its
defconfig - and it is also the most useless one as well. So it was
just a token really.

The only action i got from James was when _I_ implemented the
proper, runtime subarch mechanism and when we actually _removed_ the
voyager code. Before it James resisted such changes, see this thread
almost a year ago, in the Nth "voyager breaks the build" discussion,
where i suggested:

  " btw., any chance to turn it into a quirk space thing? "

  http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/21/441

I got no action from James for my technical requests. Right now i
dont see any guarantee that this wont be repeated, once the code is
upstream again after meeting some threshold minimally.

Voyager was a painful experience to all x86 maintainers and i'd
expect pushers and supporters of rarely used code to do such work,
not maintainers.

Are the quality thresholds i outlined in the previous thread(s)
unreasonable? They were:

 " If the code is absolutely trouble-free out of tree, for an
   equivalent amount of time (3 kernel releases or so), and gathers
   users/testers/etc., then we might add it, after a thorough
   technical review. "

  http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/4/19/181

Given that there are only two known boxes left (both James's, the
other one went missing in action somewhere in Brasil), the 'gather
testers' bit is unreasonable i guess. 'Prove you can stay trouble
free' is more realistic. Dunno.

See for example what happened in linux-next today: Voyager broke x86
and didnt even build, and Stephen had to keep it out of today's
linux-next build.

	Ingo