Re: Different scheduler behavior between 2.4 and 2.6

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Quan Sun wrote:

> Hi,
> On 4/30/07, pradeep singh <2500.pradeep@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > heh... if a lot of disk I/O is required try changing the I/O scheduler too.
> > Make it CFQ, will help i guess.Read about Anticipatory and other IO
> > schedulers too. Though IMHO CFQ will be good enough.
>
> The problem is, my application is a heavy network socket IO proxy, and
> no disk IO involved.  :)

Cat /proc/interrupts to see what interrupt the network interface
is using, and if interrupts are being load balanced across CPUs.

Then cat /proc/irq/XX/smp_affinity where XX is the interrupt number
determined from the cat /proc/interrupts.  You can explicitly set this
also, but I'm not sure you would want to.  For the application you can
use sched_setaffinity().

In addition to the noirqbalance kernel parameter, you may want to
disable the irqbalance daemon.  On a RedHat based system you would
do this via:

	chkconfig --level 0123456 irqbalance off

	/etc/init.d/irqbalance stop

You may want to test both with and without the irqbalance daemon
running, to see which gives better overall performance.  However,
when running the irqbalance daemon, it will override any explicit
SMP affinity settings you might have made.

						-Bill
-