Re: routing problem ???

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 12:24:01AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
With IP bound to NIC, I can just SNAT all SYN packets to http/ftp ports to originate from the desired IP, and get implicit routing via the right NIC. With the default routing based on destination I go into the mangle table and start MARKing packets, creating source routing tables and rules, etc. All of which is very time consuming and gets amazinly ugly when you add routing for multiple VPN connections, etc.

Wait, I'm confused. There are systems out there that use the Iface
column in the routing table as a selector to determine which route to
use? I was always under the impression that the interface was an output
of the routing table not an input.

Also source routing doesn't require any firewall rules or marking of
packets.
If you can show me another way to send all tcp packets to certain ports out one interface and all other packets out another, given that both interfaces connect to a different ISP, have full connectivity, and are default routes, I would be grateful. The packet marking was suggested to me by David Miller some years ago, since I need to route using port addresses to determine source IP and interface used.

I'm clearly not alone, you rejected various patches for 2.4 aimed at various parts of this or partial solutions, and only the ARP changes seem to be present. People who need this capability don't care if it's default, we just want it to be simpler to use than what's there. Hope that's clearer.

I think the current system is clear and simple. I'm not sure I
understand how your suggestion would work. Where does the interface
play a role in route selection?

Only routes via an interface which has the source IP are considered, otherwise routing is as it currently exists. In addition to selecting a route using "can I get there from here" rules, I want to rejects selection of any interface without the source IP configured.

NOTE: this only becomes a problem when there are two (or more) default routes, and the optimal interface is selected for reasons other than just connectivity. Some user in Europe had similar problems, where one ISP billed by the bandwidth and another by byte count. One of those was frame relay, but I last visited this years ago and don't have the details online (if at all).

The 2.4 patch was similar to the way ARP response is controlled, but that patch is backed up to DC600 tape and would take a lot of effort to find and port to 2.6. I'd love an "official" patch to do this, so it could become part of the mainline kernel.

Did I explain it better this time?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc