Re: routing problem ???

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 12:24:01AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> With IP bound to NIC, I can just SNAT all SYN packets to http/ftp ports
> to originate from the desired IP, and get implicit routing via the right
> NIC. With the default routing based on destination I go into the mangle
> table and start MARKing packets, creating source routing tables and
> rules, etc. All of which is very time consuming and gets amazinly ugly
> when you add routing for multiple VPN connections, etc.

Wait, I'm confused. There are systems out there that use the Iface
column in the routing table as a selector to determine which route to
use? I was always under the impression that the interface was an output
of the routing table not an input.

Also source routing doesn't require any firewall rules or marking of
packets.

> I'm clearly not alone, you rejected various patches for 2.4 aimed at
> various parts of this or partial solutions, and only the ARP changes
> seem to be present. People who need this capability don't care if it's
> default, we just want it to be simpler to use than what's there. Hope
> that's clearer.

I think the current system is clear and simple. I'm not sure I
understand how your suggestion would work. Where does the interface
play a role in route selection?

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@xxxxxxxxx>   http://svana.org/kleptog/