RE: Congestion Control uses packets instead of segments? (bug?).

Of course only packets get dropped. But that's beside the point.

If I'm sending 20 byte packets, and linux's congestion control kicks in, my
throughput is 20 bytes per RTT. If the client sends me 1 byte (and nothing
else) and enables delayed ACKS, then my throughput is 20bytes per
ACK-DELAY-TIME... which is around 30ms.
Whereas under BSD/NT/Solaris which count segments not packets, my throughput
is 1 segment per RTT. With a greater chance for an ack piggyback.

Granted, at larger (read "normal") sized packets the differences between
counting segments vs packets is pretty nominal. But you have to admit that
for small-packet latency centric stuff, the current state of the stack makes
life very difficult.

Perhaps you know of a way to increase the number of un-acked packets linux
allows?

-Jon

From: 	David S. Miller [mailto:davem@redhat.com]
Subject:	Re: Congestion Control uses packets instead of segments?
(bug?).

Show us a router in the real world that drops "bytes" instead of
"packets", and we will change the Linux TCP algorithms :-)

contain privileged or confidential information.  If you have
received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.  Any other use of the email
is prohibited.