Basic Routing problem

Hi,
I am very new to Linux networking and am having a
problem with routing.

I have 2 machines connected to the internet one
running WinXP and other running RH8.0.
Both are configured with DHCP. The windows machine is
directly connected to the internet (I am using DSL).
The linux box is connected to DSL router(Linksys)
which in turn is connected to the internet.

I am able to ping the windows machine from the linux
box. But am not able to do it the other way round. I
figured that this is due to the presence of the
router. What do I need to do to get around this
problem ? Also eventually when I use static IP
addresses will I have to use NAT or IP forwarding ?
Also an interesting thing is that I am able to ping
the windows machine from linux box, but traceroute
does not work !

Thanks for any help,
SP