Re: Major network stalling problems with Linux...

More developments on the problem: I did have a half-duplex problem with the
firewall when I downgraded the machine.  However, I've since fixed the problem.
The gateway seems to work a little better (like being able to send ping packets
over 32768 bytes), but the stalling problem still exists.  A firewall-to-client
ping gives me about a 7% packet loss.

At this point, I'm almost sure it's the NE2000 (ISA) card driver, which is why
I'm CCing this message to the network driver guys.  Like I said earlier, I'd
tried the ne2k-diag program and it reports the card as full-duplex.  (BTW,
Donald, the program will turn off my network, until I do a
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart" command.)

It seems like the card itself (or the drivers behind it) will suddenly turn off
for a few tenths of a second (or sometimes even 2-4 seconds) and then turn back
on.  That's what the tcpdumps and ping tests seem to indicate.  I know that my
K6-2/300Mhz is not slowing down the network.

NNTP reference: http://groups.google.com/groups?ic=1&th=79dd16f31f6b110f,8

--
Brendan Byrd/SineSwiper (SineSwiper@ResonatorSoft.com)
Computer techie, Perl hacker, and all-purpose Internet guru