RE: Automated dial-out PPP connection upon network request

On 03-May-2001 Edouard Soriano wrote:
> I am setting up an automated dial-out PPP connection on a
> Linux box to be started when one of the PC at local LAN
> would connect any Internet site.
>
> This means the Default Gateway of the local LAN is that
> Linux box. When a local PC will try to reach any Internet
> IP box, this PPP connection needs to be initialized
> with the Internet provider and has to remain open
> until no trafic detected on that PPP channel for a
> given period of time.

pppd has idle option which closes down link if there is no traffic for
specified period of time.

> I played with wvdial and works fine. The problem
> is that I do not find how to automatically start
> wvdial in daemon mode as well as to tell hime to
> cancel the PPP connection when NO trafic
> condition detected.

In my experience the best method to control dial-on demand and ppp is the
diald. If you can invest some time to learn about diald it will give you
reward for your time.
I installed it (in networks like your) many times and it works like a charm.

There are some other software for that like mserver and linecontrol, to name
only two.

http://diald.sourceforge.net/ is the home site for it, IIRC.

Bye, Milan