Re: Automated dial-out PPP connection upon network request

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 07:59:15AM +0000, Edouard Soriano wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I am setting up an automated dial-out PPP connection on a Linux box to
> be started when one of the PC at local LAN would connect any Internet
> site.
>
> This means the Default Gateway of the local LAN is that Linux box.
> When a local PC will try to reach any Internet IP box, this PPP
> connection needs to be initialized with the Internet provider and has
> to remain open until no trafic detected on that PPP channel for a
> given period of time.
>
> I played with wvdial and works fine. The problem is that I do not find
> how to automatically start wvdial in daemon mode as well as to tell
> hime to cancel the PPP connection when NO trafic condition detected.
>
> Many thanks for your help.

No need to use 'wvdial'.
    ppp-go -d
will dialout on demand under ppp-2.3.11 and ppp-2.4.0.  You would need
to edit /etc/ppp/options.demand to include
    ipcp-accept-local
    ipcp-accept-remote
    0.0.0.0:10.10.10.10
    demand
    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/pppscript"
    idle 120	    # disconnect after 2 minute idle
in addition to your normal /etc/ppp/options.

--William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
  8 CPUs, Linux, Python, LaTeX, vim, mutt
-