3c905B not getting above 10 Mbit/s

Hello everybody,

I have a strange problem with two 3c905b NICs and a 3Com Switch
3300. The two NICs belong to a file server and a web server.

The thing is, when I test the network speed on the file server with
"iptraf", it never gets above about 8 or 9 Mbit/s, no matter how
much load I put on it. (In order not to confuse network bandwith
with filesystem bandwith, I also tried to netcat /dev/zero from the
file server to the webserver and vice versa, but with the same
results.)

The switch as well as the NICs were set to auto-detect, so I tried
setting all of them explicitly to 100Mbit/s full duplex (I set the
switch via telnet, and the nics by booting into dos and running the
3com tool), but it didn't work either.

Cable length from the web server to the switch to the file server is
approx. 5 metres, so that cannot be the problem either.

I don't get any error messages; it seems to work all fine if you just
look at the logs. But the throughput is just too slow if you figure
that the file server is running samba, sometimes serving up to 30
NT workstations at once with multimedia data. Some of our
applications seem to hang because the throughput is too slow, so I
need to find some kind of solution.

I'm running Linux 2.2.18 (with no patches installed) on both of the
machines. I compiled the 3com driver as a module.

I hope someone at least has an idea where I could look.

Thank you for your attention.

Johannes Ballé
Gymnasium zum Altenforst, Troisdorf
Germany