Re: [solved] 3c905B not getting above 10 Mbit/s

hello again,

i upgraded the 3com switch to firmware 2.62. since then everything
works just fine!!! thanks for your help.

it took me a long time to figure out that it had actually worked,
because the program i use to measure network speed was broken
for speeds > 10 mbit/s. it seems it always shows a throughput of
around 1 mbit/s if the real speed gets above 10 mbit/s. i did the
following to figure it out:

time cat /dev/zero | netcat -v ...

then i used the following formula to calculate throughput in kbit/s:

number_of_bytes * 8 / 1024 / number_of_seconds

this gave me about 70-80 mbit/s after the firmware upgrade. this is
a good value, since the tcp/ip-overhead is not included in this figure.

i found out that the program version i used was completely
outdated ("iptraf" version 1.2.0, recent version: 2.3.1). i complained
to suse about distributing outdated, broken software.

greetings,
johannes ballé

-