Re: Trying to create a (odd ball) internal only & a external allowed.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:

>	Hello Semat ,
>
>On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, semat wrote:
>> You do not need to use the access database. Simply set inside's smart
>> relay host to in&out and then on in&out do not allow relaying just not
>> putting anything in access and relay domains should solve this. thus
>> inside will be able to send mail to in&out but not to the outside since it
>> will say relaying denied.

I've done this also.  Using my version of the machine 'in&out' as
Sendmail's Smart_Host all mail sent by 'inside' went directly to 'in&out'.
It could deliver mail in that box but not to the outside world.

>	I'll definately give this a try .  But ... I don't see how I can
>	keep all the users addresses in the same domain ?
>	ie:	joey@fictitous.com (on 'in&out')
>		joseph@fictitous.com (on 'inside')

One method would be to set up 'in&out' as your mail server and set it up
with a virtual domain of fictitous.com.  All mail to any of your machines
on the 'inside' network would go to user accounts on 'in&out'.  To receive
their mail machines on the 'inside' network would have to log on and
download it from the 'in&out' box using fetchmail, Outlook Express, or
some other mail retrieval program.

>	If I use an entry in the aliases file then 'inside' can be reached
>	from 'The World' .  This 'easily' bypasses any of the Spam
>	prevention techniques I have (tried) using .  It appears that
>	the forwarding done in the aliases file happen well before the
>	actions in the spam filters .

Use the above configuration and set up your spam filter in 'in&out'.  This
will solve your spam problem.

>	I can see that I left another wonderful item out of the setup
>	below .  All the users are using either Internet exploder or
>	PC-pine for accessing their email using imap .  All access to

This will work fine if you set up 'in&out' as your mail server.  In you're
set up to allow users to download mail from other external POP3 accounts,
you can set up 'in&out' to retrieve mail from other POP3 accounts using
fetchmail, which will place the mail in the respective user accounts on
'in&out', which will then be downloaded by the 'inside' machines using 1
of the above mentioned mail retrievers.

>	'inside' is from known ip's .  Access to 'in&out' may be from
>	unknown ip's .  IF I don't put the users machines ip's into either
>	of the access/relay files on 'in&out' They can nolonger send email
>	to 'The World' ie: relaying denied .

Hmm.  I thought you didn't want those machines to send mail out to the
world.  Did I miss something?

You can set up selective machines/users on the internal network to send
mail to the world by adding their machine name or username@machinename to
access, or if you have static IPs you can add in their IP numbers to
access (better choice).  If you do this, for security purposes it's better
to set up ipchains so that all mail looks like it originates from
'in&out'.

Glen