Re: Trying to create a (odd ball) internal only & a external allowed.

	Hello Glen ,

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> >On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, semat wrote:
> >> You do not need to use the access database. Simply set inside's smart
> >> relay host to in&out and then on in&out do not allow relaying just not
> >> putting anything in access and relay domains should solve this. thus
> >> inside will be able to send mail to in&out but not to the outside since it
> >> will say relaying denied.

> I've done this also.  Using my version of the machine 'in&out' as
> Sendmail's Smart_Host all mail sent by 'inside' went directly to 'in&out'.
> It could deliver mail in that box but not to the outside world.
  ^^	'It' as in your version of 'inside' , correct ?

> >	I'll definately give this a try .  But ... I don't see how I can
> >	keep all the users addresses in the same domain ?
> >	ie:	joey@fictitous.com (on 'in&out')
> >		joseph@fictitous.com (on 'inside')

> One method would be to set up 'in&out' as your mail server and set it up
> with a virtual domain of fictitous.com.  All mail to any of your machines
> on the 'inside' network would go to user accounts on 'in&out'. To receive
> their mail machines on the 'inside' network would have to log on and
> download it from the 'in&out' box using fetchmail, Outlook Express, or
> some other mail retrieval program.
	Something the Customer doesn't wish to do .  'inside' isn't a
	network ,  'inside' is a user mail system .  There are users each
	with a workstation (but not always the same one) that access their
	email from the host 'inside' & Some which use 'in&out' .
	The users on 'inside' can not send mail out to 'The World' .
	The users on 'in&out' can send mail out to 'The World' .

Btw:	'The World' is any network/host/domain not using the ip's on the same
	side of 'router' as 'in&out' .

> >	If I use an entry in the aliases file then 'inside' can be reached
> >	from 'The World' .  This 'easily' bypasses any of the Spam
> >	prevention techniques I have (tried) using .  It appears that
> >	the forwarding done in the aliases file happen well before the
> >	actions in the spam filters .

> Use the above configuration and set up your spam filter in 'in&out'.  This
> will solve your spam problem.
	OK .  I don't beleive there is a spam problem .  But ,  setting up
	an appropriate filter may help keep 'inside's users from mailing
	to 'The World' .  At least that is my hope .

> >	I can see that I left another wonderful item out of the setup
> >	below .  All the users are using either Internet exploder or
> >	PC-pine for accessing their email using imap .  All access to

> This will work fine if you set up 'in&out' as your mail server.
	'in&out' already is the Primary (ie: smart host) mail point for
	both incoming email & outgoing email for an active domain .

> In you're
> set up to allow users to download mail from other external POP3 accounts,
> you can set up 'in&out' to retrieve mail from other POP3 accounts using
> fetchmail, which will place the mail in the respective user accounts on
> 'in&out', which will then be downloaded by the 'inside' machines using 1
> of the above mentioned mail retrievers.
	Sorry not what I was trying to convey .  There are no external
	mail servers .  Somehow I have not conveyed what I need correctly .
	I am not worried about people accessing email
	(ie: POP/IMAP/LDAP/...)  from other mail servers via there
	workstations (at this time) .

> >	'inside' is from known ip's .  Access to 'in&out' may be from
> >	unknown ip's .  IF I don't put the users machines ip's into either
> >	of the access/relay files on 'in&out' They can nolonger send email
> >	to 'The World' ie: relaying denied .

> Hmm.  I thought you didn't want those machines to send mail out to the
> world.  Did I miss something?
	Uh , Sorry again .  The 'The World' in the last sentence s/b
	'in&out' .

> You can set up selective machines/users on the internal network to send
> mail to the world by adding their machine name or username@machinename to
> access, or if you have static IPs you can add in their IP numbers to
> access (better choice).
	But , Again if I (assuming my 2 system mail setup) add RELAY
	for an particular user1@machine('in&out' user) & don't add one for
	user2@machine2('inside' user) .  user2 will not be able to send
	mail to user1 as it will receive "relaying denied" messages .

> If you do this, for security purposes it's better
> to set up ipchains so that all mail looks like it originates from
> 'in&out'.
	In the near future a CheckPoint(Linux) firewall will be placed
	in the network just internal of 'router' .

	OK ,  I may be getting a glimmer of the idea .  But if in the
	above you see something glaringly out of whack shout back . ;-)

 ...snip...	Removing my Large net map .  Hopefully others with interest
		can recapture it from the archive .

	All helpful insights are welcome .   Tia ,  JimL
       | James   W.   Laferriere | System  Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer | 25416      22nd So |  Give me Linux  |
       | babydr@baby-dragons.com | DesMoines WA 98198 |   only  on  AXP |