Re: high load with bridging

At 04:57 AM 6/18/00 +0300, Michael Black wrote:
>On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>
>> Briding requires that the ethernet boards operate in promiscuous mode.
>> The CPU has to inspect all traffic to check if it needs to be forwarded to
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> another interface... Having Ethernet boards not needing much processing
>
>  I know it's a big cpu time consumer. And I could switch to 3Com
>EtherLink III (ISA) but I don't think it'll help a lot. I'll try in the
>morning just with PCI boards (as Alan sugested), but I don't think it'll
>help much. the traffic is still there. :) It feels like the processor it's
>not cathing up with the traffic (4 any interfaces in use). btw when all
>copying stops, everything's working great.
>
>> and a speedy CPU could be very helpful. But then there is the PCI
>	^^^^^^^
>> bandwidth that will be another limiter.

A bus mastering PCI card will not use CPU resources to move the data...a
16bit ISA bus is probably less that 25Mb/s best case with todays machines
(its a secondary bus also), and with ISA the cpu is consumed doing the
transfers. Since on a bridge you have to transfer the data twice, once on
rx and once on tx, you can use almost all of your CPU just doing transfers.
An 8 bit adapter is virtually unusable

> ah... how speedy? I think a 450mhz is quite a runner. and the 100mhz fsb
>improves a lot.

We have very busy ISPs bridging/switching 5 100Mb/s lans AND doing
bandwidth management without the machine breathing very hard With PCI
adapters its more of a pps issue until you get up to 400Mb/s on a single bus.

db

http://www.etinc.com
T1/T3 boards for FreeBSD and Linux
Multiport T1/T3 Routers
Full-Featured Bandwidth Manager For Linux and FreeBSD

-