Re: timeout on network device

Andre Grueneberg wrote:

> I'm
> still running modutils 2.3.9 [should this be my problem?].

No.

> I can't reproduce the problem on demand, it just occurs from time to time, my
> first suspections were that it was caused by heavy load, but this cannot be
> the case, as I just ran into the problem while nothing else special was
> running...okay, I had an internet connection over ISDN (ipppd) running...but
> this is not the case on every occurance.
>
> I better should test my smc9194 whether it also times out the connection,
> perhaps the problem is not in the 3c509 driver?!

hmm. It doesn't sound like regression in the driver.  It may be something
physical: cabling, hub, etc.  I'll drag out my 509 and give it an overnight
test.

When it happens does the interface recover properly, or does it need to be
downed and upped, or do you need to reboot?  What are the long-term effects
of the timeout?
-