Kernel panic from bonding driver

I am running kernel version 2.2.16 on a Dual PIII800 with 3 Intel NIC's.
(Compaq Proliant DL380)

I discovered the bonding driver and set it up with all three cards which
appears to work fine.  While I was playing round I did an ifconfig bond0
down which resulted in a kernel panic.

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
00000040.  I know this is not much help but it illistrates the problem.
The problem seems to be reproducable but unfortunatly the machine has
been put into service.  I do however have another identical box on which
I might be able to do some further testing.

Looking at the bonding driver code, there is not much to go wrong so I
would assume it is a simple fix but I don't know.  Could the fact that
it is an SMP box matter?

Any help or pointers would be great as I have put the box in to service
as a departmental mail server and I don't really want it crashing on me
:).

John Newbigin

Unix Systems Administrator
School of Information Technology