Re: PCI scan problems in 2.2.16

>> its pretty difficult to label an enclosure when the port changes depending
>> on what cards you have in the box.
>>
>> How can the behavior be modified?
>
>Easily.  And I pointed out how.  Don't use the "eth%d" name to set up your
>machine.  Use the MAC/station address.  This is a unique ID number that
>precisely identifies the PCI card in use.  This assures you are configuring
>the device that you expect, without needed to guess how the slots are
>numbered or what bus bridges exist.

LOL. Donald, you need to get out more. You're going to try to tell some
bozo who barely knows how to find the on/off switch to "review the mac
addresses and plug in his cables accordingly"? What color is the sky in
your world? :-)

This is not a real-world solution. As some point LINUX has to become
workable in the general population, not just among hackers.

>If you want to change this behavior, you should write a custom ordering hook
>for the 'pci-scan' interface.  But I expect that 99% of the world will
>consider your ordering either pointless or wrong.

or impossible since we're not using pci-scan (as it caused other problems
when installed that we havent had time to investigate).

>I expect, given your posting history, that you want Linux to be just a clone
>of BSD, and want BSD/Sun style naming.  We made the decision in 1992 that
>approach was a bad idea.  It's fine to name your interfaces le0 and ie0 when
>you only support two types of network adapters.  You could write a shell
>script that enumerated the known interface names.

No, I use BSD as an example of an OS that does usually things right, that
doesnt lock up under load and that has consistency across drivers. So shoot
me. What I'd like is for people to realize that LINUX is only suitable to
penguinites, but that isnt going to happen. I dont really card what the
devices are named, as long as its consitent. But with a 1 port board
installed the on-board controller is eth1 and with a 4 port its eth0. Thats
not workable.

>Linux supported five types by the end of 1992, triple that number by 1993
>and zillions now.  People would be driven insane if we had "wd0" and "ne0"
>and "fz0" and "tc0" and "hp0" and "tu0" and ...

At least I know what card they are using when they write for support. With
linux I have to get some brain-dead, MSCE in-progress college student to
figure our which driver was scanned first, or we have to review the bootup
code ourselves. The problem here would be the same regardless of the name
since it only occurs when both controllers are the save driver. So whether
they are named eth0 and eth1 or fxp0 or fxp1 doesnt make much difference.

dennis
-