Re: Notebook ethernet problems

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I should have looked over those
route and ifconfig outputs before sending them on.  The IP address in
delta's ifconfig wasn't missing in an earlier attempt, and neither was
the network address in delta's route output, but I seem to have messed
that up by fiddling with /etc/hosts before doing it again for the cut
and paste.  I fixed that, and got the missing addresses in route and
ifconfig, just like the output from gamma, but with the delta and gamma
addresses reversed, and I still can't ping from one machine to the other.

I also tried removing the tees and terminators, in case they weren't
necessary with the BNC to RJ11 adapters, but still nothing.  I used
the adapters and cable with the RJ11 connectors instead of co-ax cable
because they were available at the last computer show I was at, and
the co-ax wasn't.  I know a cross-over cable is necessary with 100base-T
with the RJ45 connectors, but since it isn't necessary with co-ax, I
assumed that it wouldn't be with the adapters either.  Is this an
incorrect assumption?

I'll continue playing with this to see what I can come up with, but in
the meantime, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate
hearing them.  Thanks.

Chuck

-