Re: PCI scan problems in 2.2.16

At 06:05 PM 7/19/00 -0400, Donald Becker wrote:
>On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Dennis wrote:
>
>> With an intel 810E MB with on onboard Intel Controller, using a 1 slot
>> riser card with an eepro100 card in the slot, Linux detects the card in the
>> pci slot as eth0 and the onboard LAN controller as eth1 (clearly not what
>> you want).....other O/Ss properly detect the onboard controller first.
>
>This *is* what you want.  And an O/S that detect the on-motherboard
>interface first is backwards.
>
>This is the same situation as a PCI video card.  A plugged-in video card
>should be used in preference to the built-in one.

I whole-heartedly disagree. With no cards in the box, the on-board port is
port 0. With a card in, it changes, which makes it wrong. Adding a device
should not change the port designation of the first device. The folks at
'BSD and windoze disagree with you also.

its pretty difficult to label an enclosure when the port changes depending
on what cards you have in the box.

How can the behavior be modified?

>There is a simple solution.  Configure your adapters to match the detection
>order.

thats not a solution. This is not a "make it work" issue. Its an issue that
makes linux unsuitable as is for a rather common application

>There is *no* semantic signifcance to the "eth0" name.  It is just a name.
>Names are used to simplify the identification.  In one of our old
>configurations, we used the Ethernet address to look up the IP address in
>/etc/ethers.  With this approach the interface could be name "eth0" or
>"fizbot23", it just didn't matter.  The downside is that doing this makes
>configuration *much* more obscure for the common single-interface
>configuration.

Try to sell a modular product with that philosophy.....

With an SBC system, Linux detects the on-board controller first, and then
the card. However with this MB, it detects the card first. Inconsitency is
worse than doing it wrong all the time......

is this a driver or OS issue?

Dennis

-