Re: PCI scan problems in 2.2.16

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Dennis wrote:
> At 06:05 PM 7/19/00 -0400, Donald Becker wrote:
> >On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Dennis wrote:
> >
> >> With an intel 810E MB with on onboard Intel Controller, using a 1 slot
> >> riser card with an eepro100 card in the slot, Linux detects the card in the
> >> pci slot as eth0 and the onboard LAN controller as eth1 (clearly not what
> >> you want).....other O/Ss properly detect the onboard controller first.
> >
> >This *is* what you want.  And an O/S that detect the on-motherboard
> >interface first is backwards.
> >
> >This is the same situation as a PCI video card.  A plugged-in video card
> >should be used in preference to the built-in one.
>
> I whole-heartedly disagree. With no cards in the box, the on-board port is
> port 0. With a card in, it changes, which makes it wrong. Adding a device
> should not change the port designation of the first device. The folks at
> 'BSD and windoze disagree with you also.

You are confused about what you want.

When I said "backwards", I didn't mean primitive.  I meant that it was
enumerating the cards in reversed order.  Most motherboards specifically
wire their on-mainboard devices at higher PCI device numbers than the slot
device number, so slot-connected PCI devices are detected and used in
preference to on-motherboard devices.

To recap
 - The motherboard sets the PCI numbering, and thus it's the motherboard that
   sets the card ordering.
 - An OS that detects the on-motherboard device first is counting backwards.

> its pretty difficult to label an enclosure when the port changes depending
> on what cards you have in the box.
>
> How can the behavior be modified?

Easily.  And I pointed out how.  Don't use the "eth%d" name to set up your
machine.  Use the MAC/station address.  This is a unique ID number that
precisely identifies the PCI card in use.  This assures you are configuring
the device that you expect, without needed to guess how the slots are
numbered or what bus bridges exist.

> Try to sell a modular product with that philosophy.....
> With an SBC system, Linux detects the on-board controller first, and then
> the card. However with this MB, it detects the card first. Inconsitency is
> worse than doing it wrong all the time......

The drivers are very consistent.
For PCI cards they detect all cards supported by the driver, in PCI order.
There is no randomness in the process.  They will always be detected in the
same order unless you change your hardware configuration.

If you want to change this behavior, you should write a custom ordering hook
for the 'pci-scan' interface.  But I expect that 99% of the world will
consider your ordering either pointless or wrong.

An alternate approach is to load the "ESP" module, which always does just
what you want.  Note: if the ESP module fails to perform the correct action,
verify that you are the physically closest sentient being to the executing
CPU.  Loading this module remotely, or while malicious co-workers are in the
room, frequently results in file system corruption.

I expect, given your posting history, that you want Linux to be just a clone
of BSD, and want BSD/Sun style naming.  We made the decision in 1992 that
approach was a bad idea.  It's fine to name your interfaces le0 and ie0 when
you only support two types of network adapters.  You could write a shell
script that enumerated the known interface names.

Linux supported five types by the end of 1992, triple that number by 1993
and zillions now.  People would be driven insane if we had "wd0" and "ne0"
and "fz0" and "tc0" and "hp0" and "tu0" and ...

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403

-