Re: PCI scan problems in 2.2.16

What a great issue...  As a service technician;

- I *hate* onboard adapters that won't disable.  Instead of solving a dead
onboard resource by plugging in an adapter card, I gotta either go get the
replacement motherboard, at $$$, or toss the whole system.  $$$ either way.

- I *hate* software that can't figure out which resource is first.  And I
hate software that just makes up its mind, leaving me no real choice in the
matter.  In other words, the developers are damned if they do and damned if
they don't.  If I can go in and config the system to choose my way, fine.
Ever try running linuxconf on a system with a bad primary video adapter?
Life is too short.  Sometimes, I just take the drive out and put in
something that's working, edit away, and reinstall it.  Yeah. wait till it
reverts and some poor bugger has to deal with it.  I hate myself, too.

Mr. Becker has a good point.  If an adapter appears, it should be assumed
that it's there to take over for the built-in resource.  Let the user force
the choice, if they want to.

Dennis has a good point too.  It's nonintuitive for the built-in resource
to be secondary.  So, if logical is the rule of the day, much else is
broken too.

I know this sounds like the ravings of a madman.  Us blades of grass just
thought you elephants might be humored at our confusion.

The debate is fascinating.  Now I know why I'm not a programmer.

Rick

-