Re: PCI scan problems in 2.2.16

At 09:56 AM 20/07/00 -0400, you wrote:

>None of this blabber of yours solves the problem, so why waste everyone's
>time? Explaining why its broken is kind of like your mechanic telling you
>why your brakes sqeak. I dont care why they sqeak, i want them to stop
>sqeaking.

I wasn't explaining why it was broken, I was explaing why relying on a
specific interface name is broken. As Donald said, they're just arbitary
labels. They have to be given out in some order - and whatever that order
is, is never going to suit everyone.

The best way around it is not to rely on interface names directly in any
scripting. We do this on the single floppy router I work with - all
references to interface name are made via an environment variable, for
example $INTNAME0, which is stored in a configuration script. This
completely removes dependency of the interface name and alows people to
swap the function of interfaces around at will. Granted, it is easier on a
small closely controlled system than a full linux distribution...

>What code needs to be changed to fix it? Im sure Im not the only one who'd
>like to know.

Several other people have posted code which can reverse the detection order
of PCI devices - but while that might "fix" things in one particular case,
it doesnt actually solve the problem at all. Another suggestion was to read
the hardware address of each card and swap their addresses based on that,
which is an intriguing idea, but again doesnt solve every problem.

Regards,
Simon

-