Re: PCI scan problems in 2.2.16

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Dennis wrote:

> None of this blabber of yours solves the problem, so why waste everyone's
> time? Explaining why its broken is kind of like your mechanic telling you
> why your brakes sqeak. I dont care why they sqeak, i want them to stop
> sqeaking.
>
> What code needs to be changed to fix it? Im sure Im not the only one who'd
> like to know.

One can write short script which runs on system startup and changes device
names to desired ones by matching device using MAC address, so the rest
of scripts can rely on "right" names. Change name using SIOCSIFNAME,
available in 2.2.x at least.

Otherway - imagine, one has some PCI card in PCI slot 3 and then installs
other same type card in slot 1. How can driver have any idea which card
was in first? The only easy-to-get unique information about card is MAC
address. The rest depends just on your scripting skills and imagination.

Karlis

-