problem determing the protocol number for IPCP

Hello,

I am sure that all the RFC gurus out there are going to laugh at this, but I really can't find the official protocol number
for IPCP; can anyone help me?

Best regards,

Manuel Arriaga

PS: I tried looking in RFC 1332 but couldn't find any referrence to the protocol number; the same happened with the "RFC
Protocol Index" ( http://lurch.cit.buffalo.edu/Misc/RFC/rfcproto.html ).

PPS: This may sound stupid, but is IPCP already done using IP? I understand it is one of the available "Network Control Protocols"
used precisely for negotiating the network-layer protocol used over a PPP link, but I am wondering whether ipchains might
be blocking these packets when I use the generic

ipchains -A input [-p all] -j DENY
ipchains -A output [-p all] -j DENY

rules before establishing a ppp link ... a ppp connection seems to be up (reported by pppd), but ifconfig only lists the
local interface... Can ipchains be already blocking IPCP traffic?
-