Re: [ Rick Blake ] OT: Re: a vir for w9x (I think)

>Any Windows user who can *find* someone to complain to, with even the
>least hope of resolution, about virus & macro deliver in
>Win9x/NT/Outlook/Exchange and the whole SHS/VBX/OCX debacle, is a user who
>has an inside track.

I use windows on my desktop many days, probably 10% of the time, I boot to
Linux.  There are things that I have to do at work that use windows based
tools...sigh...  I have used MH for email since 1986 or so.  It does not
empower the sender of emails to do anything to me near as easily as the GUI
mail clients on Windoze do.  The best thing is that all my mail is always in
the same place. Nearly everywhere that I could run a pop/imap client, I can
instead run telnet to look at my email.

I've used MMDF for an MTA since that time too.  It is far more secure than
sendmail, and more flexible about incorporating new types of transports.  MMDF
is used extensively in the .mil community because of this, and it has changed
little over time because the original separation of powers and priviledges
were well thought out.  Sendmail on the other hand is a nightmare because it
was never designed to be a product.  It was a hack that was sold as a product.
 It has since, created the single largest reoccuring security risk in the UN*X
community.

What appears to be going on, is that those who have little historical
perspective on the evolution of email are in charge of the evolution of email
and are doing few favors for the average population.  I have yet to see
someone use a VBS powerer email for legitimate enhancement to that
environment.  Some people are using the MIME facilities to attach things to
email that are useful.

But, by and large, MIME is presenting fewer real benefits with the evolution
of the WWW.  My need to transport complex or large things via email is
becoming less.  Most of the time, I just put that stuff on web pages and send
email to people, because I know I hate having to deal with attachments from
random people...

-----
gregg@c2-tech.com  (C2 Technologies Inc)

-