Re: Char set problem

KEA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed dosemu 1.4.0 on Slackware 13.37. In .dosemu.rc I
> have the settings:
>
> $_internal_char_set = "cp437"
> $_layout = "hu-cwi"
>
> which would mean that I use a rather old Hungarian keyboard layout and
> charset setting. The layout works but it does NOT produce the chars it
> should. E.g. pressing the key right to P produces an 'i umlaut' instead
> of 'o circumflex'. If I use Alt+147, it will give the required 'o circ',
> which is used instead of 'o with double acutes', traditionally. Whatever
> internal char set I set in .dosemu.rc, the situation remains the same.
> In boot.log I see only:
>
> CONF: Keyboard-layout keyb-user
>
> which does not mean too much for me.
>
> If you could tell me, what the problem is, and how I could get rid of
> it, I would be glad. I've been using dosemu for many years but never had
> a problem like this. Thx in advance, KEA.

Hello Kea,

You run dosemu under X or console? With SDL or not?
Keyboard and NLS setting in all Linux, dosemu and DOS is pure woodoo
for me and dosemu docs is a bit unclear (for me and my poor english:),
but mostly after some fiddling I'm able get acceptable result.

Now when I tried '$_layout = "hu-cwi"' running dosemu under X pressing
key right to P ("[{" at US layout) I get 'o circumflex' - but I must
have '$_X_keycode = (on)' - and then i'm not able switch keyboard
layout with Linux "xfce4-xkb-plugin'.
With '$_X_keycode = (off)', then I'm able switch layout with Linux
desktop XKB plugin, but in DOS instead of 'o circumflex' i will get
'small u with acute'(slash "/" with shift) - what is that I have
on Czech keyboard layout which i'm using.

DOSEMU authors probably assumes that keyboard layout switching will
be done with native Linux keyboard switcher/shortcuts, as DOS "keyb"
utility is missing in dosemu-freedos package. But how it should be
properly configured in dosemu and in DOS I not know.
Maybe someone more experienced in this problem can explain this and
give some straightforward procedure and/or example how do this?

Regards, Franta Hanzlik