Re: printing

On Tuesday, November 23, 2010, Vedran Vucic <vedran.vucic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I clean /var/spool/cups and do print from my DOS app to printer I
> get the queue file like one I sent already but it does not come out to
> the printer.
> When I get to/var/log/cups/access_log
> then I see that last message is that Print Job is successful-ok.
> But,nothing comes out of the printer nor printer blinks as a reaction
> to receiving data.
> When I Go to http://localhost:631 and print test page everything isOK
> whichmeans that printer and connection with printer is OK.
> Strange, isn't it?
> If you want I can again put my dosemu.conf on pastebin.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vedran
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Mike McCarty
> <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Vedran Vucic wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> When I use option in my DOS application to print on screen it creates .prn
>>> file.
>>> is it possible to print that .prn file from dosemu?
>>

>> Hmm. MSDOS uses PRN as a special device. I wonder if your program
>> is trying to use that, and it's not getting to the printer. You
>> know, like CON:
>>
>> BTW, did you check the queue to see if it's stalled?
>>
>> Mike
>> --
>> p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
>> Oppose globalization and One World Governments like the UN.
>> This message made from 100% recycled bits.
>> You have found the bank of Larn.
>> I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!
>> --

Which, again, goes back to what i said originally:

Your DOS program expects to be running on a real computer, attached to
a real printer. You have what I belive to be a winprinter meaning it
does not work with PCL5 or PostScript languages. Therefore configure
your DOS program to print to a PostScript driver and CUPS should
handle the translation.

If my assumptions about your printer are correct, setting your printer
to use HP LaserJet III driver in CUPS will not work, and I never saw a
PostScript printer that didnt support PCL5.

--
Med Vennlig Hilsen,

A. Helge Joakimsen